Travis' World

News:

• Registration is OPEN. but i do monitor every post.
    trying to prevent data scavengers, and spammers from abusing my server.
  • Forum boards can be created upon request, if you have a specific category you want to post about.
  • There have been a lot of ERRORS lately, due to me moving the website to another server. i am still getting them ironed out, please bear with me.

Dell PE R710

Travis Farmer · 86

Offline Travis Farmer

• Administrator
    • Travis' World
on: 2019-08-31, 11:06:52
Just bought a Dell PowerEdge R710 (3.5 X6), and i plan to migrate my web-server to it. it will host various pages using Apache Virtual-Host. the older Dell PowerEdge 1950 will be shutdown, and kept as a spare, pending a use for it.
This transition will allow further upgrades to be possible, and as the R710 is *newer*, i assume it will be more energy efficient.
I have 6 drive bays available, and it comes with 2x 2TB drives. i am unsure what RAID level would be best, but i think i will use RAID 5, as my data isn't super critical, and it would be nice to have the maximum usage + redundancy. i could also use RAID 6... probably more reliable. it comes with 2 drive caddies, and i have ordered 4 more, so when i can afford it, i will need to buy 4 more drives.

~Travis

Network Administrator

Offline Travis Farmer

• Administrator
    • Travis' World
Reply #1 on: 2019-09-10, 22:21:48
 Change of plans... gonna use it for a FreeNAS file server, and run my website off it via a NFS connection.
i currently have two 200GB SAS drives in RAID 1 for the FreeNAS OS, and the two 2TB SAS drives that came with it will buddy up with the other 2TB SAS drives i have on order to complete the FreeNAS.

~Travis

Network Administrator

Offline Travis Farmer

• Administrator
    • Travis' World
Reply #2 on: 2020-02-12, 00:40:51
this is now my All-in-one server

Network Administrator