Travis' World

News:

• Post moderation (for Newbies), and registration by admin approval, is in effect, thanks to SPAM.

Progress with my CNC Router

Travis Farmer · 280

Offline Travis Farmer

• Administrator
    • Travis' World
on: 2018-12-11, 19:04:53
as it is winter, there may not be a huge amount of progress due to the camper carcass having no heat. but i will post as progress is made.

~Travis

Servers:
Dell PowerEdge 1950 (main web server)
Dell PowerEdge 2950 (VoIP server)
Dell PowerEdge R200 (unused...)
Dell PowerEdge R710 (FreeNAS file server)

Offline Travis Farmer

• Administrator
    • Travis' World
Reply #1 on: 2019-02-01, 16:18:52
I bought the correct stepper, with brake, for the Z axis. I still have to install the cable connector for power, but due to a lot of snow, i can't get into the camper yet.

The brake needs 24Vdc to release. That voltage is not available in my control-box, so i will have to make it available. Either with a small power-supply, or i may try and see if the rectified voltage from a door-bell transformer is enough.

The brake will be tied in with a relay connected to the stepper enable line. This way when the E-stop is triggered, the brake will clamp on. Without any power filtering on it's power supply, it will also clamp in a power-fail.

I should also set it up with a relay on the AC power to trigger an E-stop, as the control computer will be on a UPS.

~Travis

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Servers:

Offline Travis Farmer

• Administrator
    • Travis' World
Reply #2 on: 2019-02-15, 15:15:38
i just received shipment of a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), with no batteries, for my CNC control computer. just a little added protection in a power failure. that way i can have time to note where the CNC left off, and shut down the computer until power returns. i just have to rig it up with some batteries (24V).

~Travis

Servers:

Offline Travis Farmer

• Administrator
    • Travis' World
Reply #3 on: 2019-03-09, 05:46:15
Just to catch up... i have ordered and received three 36Vdc power supplies (one for each axis). i have also ordered a VFD for my 5HP Perske spindle. i had originally intended to use my Makita RF1101 router, but upon thinking, it would deny me the use of my router for work, and i already had the Perske spindle anyway.

The VFD is only just enough for the spindle, and i know i should have stepped up, but i got what i could afford. i don't think i will be running the spindle at full load much anyway.

I still have to solder a connector onto the new Z-axis stepper motor wires, and i have to figure out how to run more wires up to the Z-axis area. i think i will start with just some light 3-wire cable. (for ground, brake release power, and laser power)

if it works out, i would like to mount my laser engraver head on my CNC, along with the spindle. this way i can do laser line-drawings on wood, without removing the spindle. we will see, as i am not sure how to mount it just yet.

~Travis

Servers:

Offline Travis Farmer

• Administrator
    • Travis' World
Reply #4 on: 2019-03-15, 04:45:45
i have seen pictures online of computers built into a desk, and they look kinda neat. i was thinking of doing this with my break-out boards, stepper drivers, and so forth. not so much to showcase it, but so i can build a removable glass lid, to make it easier to maintain the system, should the need arise. it will also give me a chance to redo the wiring a bit, so as to make it a bit more tidy, and easier to maintain.
i am also thinking of a slight redo of the computer. the case is old, and dirty. i have a 4U server case i am not using, due to the motherboard in it being more and more unreliable. so i will strip that motherboard out, and reuse the current CNC computer motherboard, and install it into the 4U case. this i just simply have to mount the case securely under the desk. while i am at it, i will find a better monitor for the computer, as the current one is a little unreliable.
now, the left side of the desk i will make, using the desk top already in my CNC camper, is cut to fit where it is in the camper. i will cut it off, and build a sort of toolbox for CNC tools and router bits. the whole system will still be removable, so when i get a more permanent location for the CNC, it can be moved there.

Other items on my ToDo list:
  • install new Z stepper, and wire-in the brake
  • change out the Makita router, for the 3 phase, 5HP spindal
  • change out the current power supplies, for the new ones

~Travis

Servers:

Offline Travis Farmer

• Administrator
    • Travis' World
Reply #5 on: 2019-03-16, 14:29:12
Installed the Perske 5HP spindle, and the Z-axis stepper. i haven't done any re-wiring yet, but perhaps tomorrow.
I also brought in the control computer in so i can move the components into a better looking case (my 4U server case). at some point, i really want to see about installing a network connection out there. it would simplify pulling files off the network, rather than having to use a USB drive.

~Travis

Servers:

Offline Travis Farmer

• Administrator
    • Travis' World
Reply #6 on: 2019-04-20, 10:10:38
a lot of progress made, but a huge setback encountered.

i have the new controls rough-wired, and the machine operates perfectly.  :D
the setback though is big. my large CNC router is about 5 feet wide, and about 6 feet or so long. it just fits in the back of my CNC camper, so i have one side accessible, or two if i open the big doors. but i don't have enough room around it to fixture large work items down, or maintain the other side of the gantry (like checking that the bolts are not vibrating loose).
I try to think of every issue before it is a problem, but this one eluded me some how. i realize nobody is perfect, but it still pisses me off. the only solution i can think of is to make sure EVERYTHING is moveable. so when i am able to move it out of the camper, i can do so without upsetting much.

...setbacks!

~Travis

Servers:

Offline Travis Farmer

• Administrator
    • Travis' World
Reply #7 on: 2019-08-11, 18:47:41
NOTES:
yellow wire:counter knife
red:machine protection
green:power -
black: power +

So that's like a 65mS (65000uS) period.
Create a simple timer that starts when a read of pin changes from low to high,
wait for to go low, then look for the next high.
If the time is more than 65mS, you missed a pulse. If you want to miss 2 or 3 before calling it an error, do that.
Or check for a high/low or low/high transition every 32500uS, and look for 4 or 6 or whatever missing edges.

You could use digitalRead(), or read a port/pin directly. So maybe something like this. All time elements are unsigned long.

void loop(){
while ((PORTD & 0x04) == 0x04){
// wait for a high
}
while ((PORTD & 0x04) == 0x00){
// wait for a low to start looking
}
// okay, go find a good high

while(1){
if ( (PORTD && 0x04) == 0x04){ // look for a 1 on Uno D2 for example
risingEdgeTime = micros();
}
while ((PORTD && 0x04) == 0x04){// wait for it to go low
// waiting
}
fallingEdgeTime = micros();
halfPeriodLowTime = fallingEdgeTime - risingEdgeTime;
if (halfPeriodLowTime <=32500){
Serial.println("bad low half period");
}
else {
// good time span
} // use ( ) here maybe?

while ((PORTD &&0x04) == 0){ //wait for it to go high
// waiting
}
risingEdgeTime = micros();
halfPeriodHighTime = risingEdgeTime - fallingEdgeTime;
if (halfPeriodHighTime <=32500){
Serial.println("bad high half period");
}
else {
// good time span
} // use ( ) here maybe?
} // end while
} // end loop

Servers:

Offline Travis Farmer

• Administrator
    • Travis' World
Reply #8 on: 2019-11-02, 05:11:07
So, first of all, i have converted my machine configuration from mm, to inches. had some setbacks, but those are cleared up now. i also have the tool length sensor installed, though it is in a temporary location, it does work. i have also remapped M6 to run a G-code script (attached), and after some careful measurements, it seems to work perfectly. when i mount the tool sensor permanently, i may have to adjust some values in the script.

now, my wireless pendant (XHC HB04) seems to have a bit of an issue, or rather, two issues. the first is unstable wireless link over a short distance from the computer (USB receiver dongle). my thinking is to simply use a USB extension cable to move the USB dongle closer to the machine, where i use the pendant the most. the second issue is the lack of battery supply whenever i go to use the pendant. i turn it off every time i am done with it, but the batteries are almost always dead when i go to use the pendant the next session. my idea is to use a stretchy cord to supply 3Vdc to the pendant from the CNC power supply (via a voltage regulator, of course). failing that, i may just upgrade the battery to a high capacity lithium ion (18650) rechargeable. perhaps with a Qi (inductive) charger built in.

~Travis

Servers:

Offline Travis Farmer

• Administrator
    • Travis' World
Reply #9 on: 2019-11-02, 08:35:59
I forgot to mention, i purchased a safety charge pump detector, from here: https://www.cnc4pc.com/c4-safety-charge-pump.html, and it is my plan to use the relay to drive another set of relays for such tasks as applying/removing power to the stepper drivers, and also to apply/remove power from the spindle VFD. i haven't worked out the details of the VFD power yet, as they don't really like having power added and removed within short time-spans.
my first thought would be to use an Arduino as a turn-off delay, perhaps after 2.5 minutes. i will have to play with the detector, when it arrives, to see exactly how it reacts. if the charge pump starts as soon as the EMC program fires up, that would be better than if it does so every time the machine power is turned on or off.

~Travis

Servers: