Travis' World

News:

• Registration is OPEN. if you want to post, and share your thoughts, you are welcome to join.
    just be aware that your first posts will have to be approved by a moderator. this is just to make sure you are a human, not a SPAMMER.
  • Forum boards can be created upon request, if you have a specific category you want to post about.
  • There have been a lot of ERRORS lately, due to me moving the website to another server. i am still getting them ironed out, please bear with me.

Generator Monitor: via GenMon on a Raspberry Pi 3B+

Travis Farmer · 49

Offline Travis Farmer

• Administrator
    • Travis' World
In relation to a GitHub project by jgyates, called genmon.

I currently have the software (Python scripts) running on a Rpi 3B+, with Raspbien 10 (Buster). i have ordered the adapter plug to make an RS232 cable to connect to my Honeywell (Generac) 15KW, air-cooled, LP gas generator. i have also ordered a Serial Server, so that i can connect a shorter RS232 cable between that and my generator, and use a more stable (over distance) Ethernet cable connected to my network. the software then connects to the Serial Server, and communicates with the generator.
now, it will take a while for my Serial Server to arrive from the slow-boat from China, so in the mean-time, i found my two Xbee transceivers, and an RS232 adapter (converts TTL serial to RS232 serial). so after i make the RS232 cable, i can connect it to my generator, and see if it all works.
still waiting for the adapter plug though...

~Travis

Network Administrator

Offline Travis Farmer

• Administrator
    • Travis' World
got the adapter plug a while back, and everything seems to be running perfectly. currently i am using an Xbee to join the Rpi and generator connection. i have purchased a TCP/IP serial server, so i will soon get that setup. I have also purchased a Rpi UPS board from China, though it has not yet been delivered. (slow boat from China...)

~Travis

Network Administrator